Perfect Morning

Perfect Morning

Friday, January 27, 2012

Who's your daddy?

I am taking an introduction to literature class this semester...my last semester to be exact. :)
I am really only taking it because I think books are the best thing on the planet, besides maybe a few other things...But it really just gives me an excuse to drink more coffee and collect more books for my library.

In class the other day we read the parable of the prodigal son which is found in Luke 15. Here's a quick thought: Why in the world do we find it so amazing when our classes either reference the Bible or use it in literature? My goodness, this book is God-breathed full of LIFE, WISDOM and the Holy Spirit. The Bible is so unbelievably packed with inspiration. Don't be surprised when the Bible is used. Ask why is it NOT being used.

Ok moving on.
As we started talking about the prodigal son, I just fell more and more in love with this story. It is so RICH.
My professor asked a question. He said, "Class, do you think this story could actually be about a prodigal father not a prodigal son."

And I'm thinking, professor sir I think you have a few things misunderstood here. Let me help clarify.

The prodigal son really is not a depiction about the son. I do not think Jesus was trying to say that in families you usually have a good son and a bad son. (which if that really were the case, we all know who the favorite is in the Ruiz household....) kidding.

When the prodigal son returns from his trip to the Israel version of Vegas, he says, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son [I know longer deserve to be recognized as a son of yours]."

I LOVE the Father's response. He completely ignores his son and says, NO NO. you see you've been partying with the wrong crowd. Let me show you what a real party is like. Because you were walking around dead and now you are alive. you were lost and now you are found. Let me show you how we celebrate.

Why does the Father consider him found and alive?
"So he got up and came to his [own] Father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was moved with pity and tenderness for him; and he ran and embraced him and kissed him [fervently]." That's it. There is no penance. no award ceremony. no induction back into the hall of fame of the best kid ever after serving years as a slave.

The prodigal merely received his father's embrace and he was automatically restored back to his rightful place as a son.

You see, it really has nothing to do with WHO you are. But it has to do with who your daddy is.

In the eyes of the Father, the eldest son and the prodigal were the exact same. They are his sons. Period. The reflection of you always points back to who your daddy is.

Have you received the Father's embrace? I wonder if more people relate to the prodigal son because you are still wandering around trying to just be a slave of God rather than a son.

Oh, the day when the sons and daughters of the Most High actually walk AS SONS AND DAUGHTERS. Heaven will shout and earth will rejoice. For you once were dead and now you are alive.

It is your inheritance as a son/daughter to release the fragrance and culture of Heaven. You are first a citizen of Heaven!


also, this band is great. why?
1. their album cover matches my blog
2. best band name ever.
3. they just sing such wonderful worship!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Have you read The Prodigal God by Tim Keller? It gives AMAZING perspective on the prodigal son story and how HUGE God's love is! Miss you!