Perfect Morning

Perfect Morning

Monday, May 21, 2012

Do --------> Hear

I've been practicing obedience. 
That's a kind of weird statement. But I really have. I've purposely and intentionally been inviting the Lord in on daily no brainers and as He speaks about them I respond. or TRY to. I've been finding myself falling forward. 


I really believe that obedience is the key to breakthrough. 
The definition of obedience is: the compliance with someone's wishes or orders or acknowledgement of their authority. 


Obedience is acknowledgement of authority. 


Then he took the book of the covenant and read it in the hearing of the people; and they said, “All that the LORD has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient.”  Exodus 24:7  NASB


In the hebrew, the part that says "we will do, and we will be obedient" is translated as "we will do and we will hear." But that seems a bit odd. How are we able to do before we hear? 


Obedience to me looks a little something like this----> 
Dad: alex, go wash your car.
Alex: ***thought life*** i'm busy hot glueing yarn to the wall. It is of upmost importantance that this craft gets done NOW. Who knows when anthropologie (the store) is going to come over for dinner. I want them to see my creativity. 
Well you see dad, maybe later. (i know a store can't actually come to my house for dinner...but a girl can dream). 
Dad: no, how about now. 
Alex: why?
Dad: I said so. 
Alex: it might rain
Dad: we are in a drought
Alex: I just prayed for rain
Dad: Go
Alex: maybe anthropologie will want to ride around in my car. 


RIGHT?! am I alone? does this not happen everyday of your life??


See, we understand obedience as hearing a command/instruction then deciphering through OUR understanding if it is relevant and THEN choosing if/when/how/what time/how fast to respond. 


But obedience is not an ACTION. It is a heart posture toward authority in your life. meaning, before Jesus tells me to give that necklace away I have already determined in my heart the answer is YES. Ok. Done. The hearing is secondary. The doing is primary. 


So how do you get there? 
Practice obedience. Taste and see that the Lord is good. 


For example...yesterday the Lord helped me clean out my closet. Kinda. 
It went like this


Jesus: do you need that sweater?
Alex: yeah, most likely. 
Jesus: you have the same color sweater 
Alex: no they are different. One is harvest mustard. the other is more of a dijon. 
Jesus: yeah, i see what you're saying. do you need both of them?
Alex: you never know what the day will hold
Jesus: what does that even mean?
Alex: i have no idea. I like them both though and i also like options. 
Jesus: pick one. 
Alex: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Jesus: ........
Alex: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH let's read a book together instead. i know a really good book. I also know the author............... 


Falling forward


Here's the thing...that example is not super serious, but at the same time has revealed a place in my heart where I don't completely trust. It may not make sense to me why I shouldn't have two sweaters with a mere drop of dye difference in color, but IT DOESN'T MATTER. I have submitted my life to THe One whose ways are far above mine. 


You can not be obedient without trust. It is like Q and U. you can't separate them. 


spend time with Jesus and ask him where your life lacks obedience. He'll show you. and the fruit of quick repentance and movement forward in obedience will be ABUNDANT breakthrough. 
Rapid Obedience is the key to unlocking the blessing of God. 







No comments: